Aryna Sabalenka sparks buzz with her actions toward a ball boy during her Cincinnati Open loss
Aryna Sabalenka’s recent behavior toward a ball boy has stirred up some talk online after her surprising loss at the Cincinnati Open.
As the world No. 1, she was the clear favorite going into her round of 16 match against Sara Beljek, having won against Tania Gibson and Wang Xinyu earlier. But the four-time Grand Slam champ couldn’t keep up that momentum on Wednesday night and lost 7-6, 6-4 to Beljek.
This loss at the Lindner Family Tennis Center adds to her tough grass-court season, following a round of 16 exit at Wimbledon and going out in the fourth round at last week’s Canadian Open.
Sabalenka is still holding strong at No.1 in the WTA rankings since taking the top spot from Iga Swiatek in October 2024, but pressure is definitely building. Elena Rybakina is close behind in second place and could overtake her if she makes it to the Cincinnati final next week.
Rybakina moved into the quarter-finals by beating Diana Shnaider 6-4, 6-4, which adds even more pressure on Sabalenka. During her match with Beljek, Sabalenka looked frustrated. After losing the first set in a tie-break, she got upset with herself and started to show it.
At the start of the second set, she hit a ball hard toward a ball boy because she wasn’t happy with the ball she got. The ball went into the crowd, making the boy go and get it from a spectator.
Fans watching on social media weren’t impressed. Some said things like, “This only happens when she’s losing,” and “That’s no way to treat a kid.” Others called the behavior “totally out of line.”
While Sabalenka’s loss was tough for her, it was a big win for 20-year-old Beljek, who made it to her first WTA 1000 quarter-final.
This isn’t the best way for Sabalenka to get ready for her US Open defense later this month. While she still shows amazing skill, especially with her serve and powerful shots, Rick Macci—a coach who worked with Serena and Venus Williams—thinks her mental game needs work.
“Sabalenka is on a slippery slope,” Macci said. “She still has an incredible serve, but when pressure hits, her mindset changes. Her confidence goes up and down, but her power is still there.”
Macci believes Sabalenka’s biggest challenge right now is staying strong mentally, not just beating the player on the other side of the net. But he’s hopeful she can turn things around for the last big tournament of the year.
“She’s proven she’s a fighter, not someone who gives up,” Macci added. “Right now, she’s battling herself. When that happens, you can still win some matches, but confidence goes in circles.”
The US Open draw will take place on August 26, with the tournament starting four days later.

