Big surprise as Adam Wharton transfer news breaks just days before Premier League starts, with club making an inquiry

External image 1

Big Adam Wharton transfer news breaks just days before Premier League starts, as a club shows interest.

Adam Wharton has become one of Manchester City’s top choices to replace Rodri, as the club recently asked Crystal Palace about the talented midfielder. City really need new players in midfield after several key departures—Rodri, Bernardo Silva, and Tijjani Reijnders have all left, and Nico Gonzalez is attracting strong interest from Newcastle.

City have been linked with many players, with Lille’s young star Ayyoub Bouaddi said to be a big priority. But a new report by David Ornstein and Sam Lee from The Athletic says City also reached out to Palace about Wharton, who is on their shortlist too. The 22-year-old still has three years left on his deal at Selhurst Park, and Palace turned down their first offer. The club is keen to keep Wharton, who has also caught the eye of several other Premier League teams.

City made a deal with Palace earlier in January when they signed captain Marc Guehi for £20 million before his contract ran out. So far, under coach Enzo Maresca, City’s main signing has been Elliot Anderson from Nottingham Forest for £116 million. At the same time, John Stones was allowed to leave on a free, and two other players, Savinho and Omar Marmoush, might be joining Spurs in a double deal worth £150 million.

Wharton is a deep-lying playmaker known for his smart passing. Last season, he played 53 games as Palace won European silverware. He was also part of the FA Cup-winning team under Oliver Glasner, who brought Palace their first big trophy. Glasner has since moved to Nottingham Forest, and Pierre Sage, former boss of RC Lens, has taken over at Selhurst Park.

With a shortage of midfielders, City are exploring several options. Bournemouth’s Alex Scott was mentioned by journalist Nico Shira, and a new name has come up too. Jack Gaughan from the Daily Mail says City are interested in Roma’s Manu Kone after selling Reijnders to Al Qadsiah in Saudi Arabia. Kone impressed at the World Cup with his strong defending, playing five times for France. He used to play for Borussia Monchengladbach and is valued at around £51 million. He was also wanted by Manchester United and Chelsea earlier in the transfer window.

City are also keen on Chelsea’s Enzo Fernandez, who wants to reunite with Maresca at the Etihad. However, City missed the chance to bid before Chelsea’s deadline, with the player available for £120 million. City have not yet agreed to Chelsea’s higher asking price.

City’s team starts their new Premier League season against Bournemouth on Sunday.

Soccer

Articles You May Like

Victor Osimhen is in talks about an exciting Premier League move, just a week before the season kicks off!
Harry Kane contract update: Unexpected club starts ‘talks’ with Bayern Munich star
Tennis legend speaks out against Novak Djokovic’s ‘crazy’ rule idea before Cincinnati Open
Paul Scholes sparks debate with comment on Declan Rice as fans tell Arsenal to ‘let go’ of midfielder

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *