Nick Kyrgios shares a message after being temporarily banned from tennis
Nick Kyrgios recently shared a message confirming that he failed a drug test and is now temporarily suspended from playing tennis. Nick, who hasn’t played much on the ATP Tour since 2022 because of injuries, tested positive for cocaine while he was in Mallorca.
In his Instagram post, Nick said, “I recently failed a drug test in Mallorca after testing positive for cocaine. I made a big mistake, and I’m fully responsible. I’m sorry to my fans, family, sponsors, and everyone close to me. Most of all, I’m sorry to the kids who look up to me. I know this isn’t the example I should set, and I feel very disappointed in myself.”
He added, “I won’t make excuses, but I want to share a bit about what I’ve been going through. The past couple of years with injuries have been tough on me physically and mentally. My body hasn’t been able to do what my mind wants, and accepting that my career might be ending has been really hard. Tennis wasn’t just a choice for me—it chose me. Letting it go is one of the hardest things I’ve faced. Sometimes, I felt helpless and alone. Still, that doesn’t excuse what I did.”
Nick also said, “The good thing is this has been a wake-up call. For the next 28 days, I’ll be stepping away from social media and public life to focus on fixing myself. I hope people will respect my privacy—and my family’s too—during this time. I’m sorry, and I’ll work hard to come back stronger.”
After Nick’s message, the International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) made their own statement. They confirmed that Nick’s test showed benzoylecgonine, a byproduct of cocaine, from a sample he gave during an ATP 250 event in Mallorca on June 22. That tournament was one of only three ATP events he played in 2026. He lost in the first round to fellow Australian Adam Walton.
The ITIA also said Nick’s provisional suspension has been active since August 4, and he hasn’t appealed yet. This suspension means he can’t take part in or attend any events run by World Tennis, the WTA, ATP, Grand Slams, or national tennis groups while he’s suspended.
They explained, “Cocaine is a stimulant and listed as a banned substance during competition under tennis anti-doping rules. Taking it outside competitions can lead to lighter penalties, but because of its nature, a suspension during the investigation is required.”
Nick had a great year in 2022, reaching the Wimbledon final and the US Open quarter-finals. He also won his first Grand Slam doubles title at the Australian Open with his friend Thanasi Kokkinakis. But he missed the 2023 Australian Open due to a knee injury, and when he came back in June, he tore ligaments in his wrist. That injury forced him out of action for 18 months after he had ‘innovative’ surgery to stop arthritis.
Nick told fellow tennis player Alexander Bublik last year that his wrist started hurting during the Australian Open, and it finally gave out completely after a forehand shot in Mallorca. Since then, he’s played only a little because of ongoing wrist and shoulder problems.

