Jean-Philippe Mateta has reached out to FIFA about a very unusual issue with Crystal Palace.
Jean-Philippe Mateta has reached out to FIFA, saying his remaining contract with Crystal Palace is no longer valid.
The French striker, who’s been linked with a move to Tottenham Hotspur this week, played 63 minutes for Palace as they lost 2-0 to Everton in their Premier League opener on Saturday.
Mateta nearly joined AC Milan in January, but their detailed medical check found a knee problem that needed surgery.
He came back to play for Palace before the season ended and helped them win the Conference League.
Mateta first signed a four-and-a-half year deal with Palace in January 2022 after a loan spell.
In December 2024, it was reported that his contract was extended by a year, lasting until 2027.
According to BBC Sport, Mateta says the extra year he’s already started isn’t valid.
A Premier League tribunal looked into his claim, but it seems the contract is still considered valid.
Also, FIFA recently decided that canceling the 12-month extension isn’t something they can decide on. Neither side has officially commented yet, and it’s not clear why Mateta thinks the extension is invalid.
SPORTbible has reached out to Mateta’s team and FIFA for a statement.
Mateta told Palace in January he wanted to leave, and the club set a £35 million asking price.
An agreement close to £26 million was reached with AC Milan, but the deal fell through after Mateta failed the medical.
Palace then signed Wolves’ Jorgen Strand Larsen for £47 million to fill Mateta’s spot, with both competing for playing time since then.
Earlier this year, Mateta told Canal+ Foot he was thankful the knee problem was found because it was worse than he first thought.
“My knee injury was actually more serious than I had been told,” he said. “When they explained it, many thoughts went through my head. But I don’t regret it, because if I hadn’t done that medical, I’d probably still be struggling with the injury. Luckily, I found out what was really wrong.”

